Ep.01 – I am Not Easily Squished
Where do podcast ideas come from? Kyle explains how the influences of two brilliant designers — Sir Jony Ive and Hillman Curtis — helped form his design philosophy foundation.
From Sir Jony Ive he learned:
- Encouraged informal questioning and inquiry, tolerated mistakes and promoted innovation.
- Make your studio into an “idea factory” with brainstorming sessions at least two times a week — No exceptions!
- Create a space that allows ideas to not be so easily squished.
- Constantly simplify and do away with as much as possible (Less is Better).
- Make things that express your appreciation for people you will probably never meet.
From Hillman Curtis he learned:
- You need to make 100 bad designs before you discover a good one.
- Take the ideas that are in your head and do something with them.
- Keep your mind fertile with personal interests, experiences, and curiosity.
- Ideas originate from a mind free from distractions.
- Your job as a designer is to make the invisible visible.
Notable Quotes in this episode:
“While ideas ultimately can be so powerful, they begin as fragile, barely formed thoughts, so easily missed, so easily compromised, so easily squished.” — Jony Ive (Apple)
“The goal of a designer is to listen, observe, understand, sympathize, empathize, synthesize, and glean insights that enable him or her to ‘make the invisible visible’.” — Hillman Curtis
“Be prepared to reinvent yourself. Be prepared to go out on a limb occasionally, and be prepared to do things that you feel strongly about.” — Hillman Curtis
Presented by Create Art Podcast
To get your art muscles strong enough to start designing podcasts, you need to listen to the Create Art Podcast. If you’re like me and crave creativity, art, and learning how to find your artistic muse, then you need to join my good friend Timothy Kimo Brien as he takes a deep dive into the world of creativity with the Create Art Podcast.
You might know Tim as my co-host on Podwrecked and as an experienced podcaster in his own right. But did you also know that he is an accomplished artist with over 20 years of experience in the fine arts and poetry world? He is an amazing artist and his new podcast — Create Art Podcast — is about exploring the world of creativity with interviews with artists, conversations on art, and commentary about articles and books on creativity.
To discover — or rediscover — your creative voice (with Tim’s guidance) at createartpodcast.com and subscribe to CAP wherever you listen to podcasts. Creativity is best when it’s with friends and Tim will teach you how you can create more than you consume. Learn more about the Create Art Podcast at createartpodcast.com
Podcasting Starts with an idea: an idea that is not easily squished! However, long before their creators ever sit down at the microphone, a podcast idea needs to hardened, tested, and found worthy. This goes beyond just content creation and delivery. It requires real thought and structure to design a podcast that will survive long enough to find an audience. Follow your host Kyle M. Bondo has he takes fragile podcast ideas and transforms them into fierce audio concepts that are Not Easily Squished!
- NES Website: noteasilysquished.com
- NES Theme Music: What Are You Waiting For by NoiseWorld
- NES Podcast Hosting: Libsyn.com
NES is a Gagglepod Studios Production
Thank you for listening! Be sure to check out the other Gagglepod Studios shows including Podwrecked, PAUSE for Dramatic Effect, and Create Art Podcast — you can find all of these and more at Gagglepod.com
Go create something great!Tags: brainstorming, design foundation, Gagglepod, Hillman Curtis, idea factory, ideas, innovation, Jony Ive, Kyle M. Bondo, Less is Better, NES, Not Easily Squished, Podcast Design, Podcast Strategy, Podcasting
Last modified: March 31, 2020